Friday 25 May 2012

Education in the DRC!

Just so you know, Jen started this post but got caught up with other things. I was also blogging and had a great topic to blog about until I found her unfinished post! So I decided to finish it for her! At least I'm not the only one trying to get this blog updated!
This weekend is Grad weekend. This evening, they have what is called Friday Night Grad, which is only open to the Grade 12's and teachers, and then tomorrow is the ceremony. This year I am important enough to get to go!!! :)

So it got me wondering.... what kind of education system is in the DRC?
File:DRC classroom.jpg

Out of a population of 3 883 000, 47% are under the age of 15 years old. That is a large amount of school aged children. 12.6% of the Congolese budget is spent on education, divided up as so. The school system is like Belgium because Belgium was the country that claimed the Congo.

(By this point, I, Chibiko if you want to be technical, has taken over this post!)
Not very many kids in the Congo attend school. Children who actually go to school will most likely have to walk to the nearest school near their village which maybe miles away. Also, some schools aren't funded the money they need to get equipment or new computers for students. I am quite thankful for the new computers we have at my school. The one thing I'm thankful for is that we don't have to wear school uniforms.



School uniforms define what school you go to. So if you went to another school and wore your school uniform there, they would be able to tell that you are a student at this certain school. When I went to school in the Philippines (I'm Filipino!), we always had to wear uniforms. The downside to having to wear school uniforms is that you won't be able to wear what ever you want. I loved wearing uniforms because I didn't have to worry about thinking about what to wear the next day. Plus, we students would look the same and won't be judged of what we wear. It feels nice. Of course, some students at my school will object.


Schools in the Congo or in Africa won't allow children to come to school without proper uniform. Some kids even get sent home because they aren't wearing their uniform. Children either have parents that can't afford school uniforms or don't have parents at all.
Spread the Word!


HOW DARE YOU!!! IT'S JEN AGAIN! I WASN'T FINISHED WRITING!!! -_-

Ok so I was saying this...

Out of a population of 3 883 000, 47% are under the age of 15 years old. That is a large amount of school aged children. 12.6% of the Congolese budget is spent on education, divided up as so: 40% on primary education, 31% on secondary education, 27% on tertiary education, and 1% on pre-primary education. The school system is like Belgium because Belgium was the country that claimed the Congo.

The literacy rate for women over the age of 15 is 55%. That means almost half of the women in the Congo can't read or write. However, 78% of men are literate. This is another example of gender based inequalities.

The ratio of teachers to students is 1:70, meaning each class has an average of 70 students. I can't even imagine having that many kids running around! I guess school is different there. Here, at least when we are young, it's something your parents make you do, and a time for you to hang out with friends and make fun projects. In the Congo, going to school is a privilege. I can imagine they wouldn't misbehave AT ALL for fear of getting kicked out.

But the exciting news? Three out of four children in the Congo now go to school (according to this source). Change is happening! It isn't perfect yet, but it is getting closer. There is hope!

Alright, sorry about the posting confusion. It's all Rosanne's fault. She stole my post!

Spread the word!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Any questions? Comments are always appreciated!